So far 2019 is picking up right where the end 2018 left off…with some incredible bodies of work. For the upcoming halfway point of the year, I’ve compiled a list of what’s hot AND the best projects you should be looking out for. We have some “rumored” releases and some factual ones….either way you slice it, the year has been pretty hot and the summer is looking to be a hotter one and not just weather-wise.
To kick things off, lets start with the best so far:
- Tyler,The Creator: IGOR – On an album that is seen as a tribute to the influence Pharrell Williams has had on Tyler’s career this is easily his best album to date. Not only that, it is the best thing to be released so far this year.
2. Wiz Khalifa: Fly Times Vol. 1: The Good Fly Young – This tape sees Wiz reminding us that there will most likely never be a lack of creativity or newness in his lyrics. Not only that, the MC is showing that he is still at the top of his game and not to be messed with when it comes to being rap loyalty.
3. ScHoolboy Q: CrasH Talk – “Been poppin’, hood legend…” Q raps on the opening track as a warning shot to whoever is thinking he isn’t one of the top in the game right now. Following the normal summer trend, he’s making sure you’re blasting this with windows down in the middle of June, July and August.
4. August Alsina: Forever And A Day – The title track, in my opinion, is the best Alsina has released since his 2014 debut Testimony. He also connects with Ty Dolla $ign and the legendary Keith Sweat to put a different feel on this heater.
5. Sammie: Everlasting – This is an album that I personally waited on and it did not disappoint. There’s something honest and comforting about Sammie’s voice for all R&B fans and this album is a refresher that dropped in the spring and is needed for your summer night drives.
6. Khalid: Free Spirit – In what the El Paso native calls, “a darker more mature project.” This finds Khalid at a different level mentally and emotionally with his music. Following his Suncity EP, this is for sure a solid project that can help with any mood you find yourself in.
7. Offset: Father Of 4 – This is a project that finds the Migos member letting us into his life. A track that is dedicated to his four children, another detailing his infidelity and of course some bangers. This has not only the authenticity we look for but it has the necessary vibes you need on the daily.
8. T-Pain: 1UP – In this, Pain’s 4th project in two years, he’s returning back to what made us love him in the first place. A rapper that sings? Or a singer with the swag of a rapper? The identity isn’t lost because Pain has always been in a lane of his own…this is just a refresher in case you forgot.
9. 2 Chainz: Rap Or Go To The League – This project has LeBron James written all over it…and maybe that’s because King James A&R’d the album. “I’ve done things I ain’t proud of…like sold my mom drugs.” Chainz raps on Threat 2 Society. Ultimately, this album serves as pretty much his own autobiography in a way.
10. Styles P: S.P. The GOAT: Ghost of All Time – Listen, I was guilty of forgetting about Styles P…so if you did, don’t sweat it. You are not alone. Push the Line, Give N Take, Deadman and The Professionals help lead the way on this project that is true to his New York roots. The Queens, NY native is exploring the same rugged flow that made him a key part of The LOX and has earned him so much respect since 1994.
Upcoming Albums (Some Rumored and Some True)
1. Kanye West: YHANDI – Yeah….we’ll see.
2. Cardi B: TBD – The “Bodak Yellow” rapper has promised a follow up album in 2019. Her first single “Money” was a smash so it should be a good preview for a solid body of work.
3. Childish Gambino: TBD – Thought to have been retired from music to focus on acting and directing, it has been rumored that there is a Gambino album in the works and soon on the way. Donald Glover can’t miss as of late…are we in for the Summer of Gambino?
4. Run The Jewels: RTJ4 – The Killer Mike led duo does not disappoint and I am expecting this album to continue on the strength of their surprise release two years ago.
5. Chance The Rapper: TBD – As of late, Chance has announced that there is a new project in the works for July. He spent most of the latter half of last year releasing a slew of singles which have heartily built the hype for this coming “Owbum” as the Chicago MC has dubbed it. The latest single GRoCERIES has been just as good as the rest.
6. The Weeknd: Chapter 6 – Abel Tesfaye has been quiet about this album. All we know is the supposed title and that it won’t be another EP. Claiming he hasn’t been this inspired in years, The Weeknd should be releasing something that is sure to be on your late night playlist.